Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lord of the Flies: Setting

Somewhere over the darkened curved of the world the sun and moon were pulling, and the film of water on the earth planet was held, bulging slightly on one side while the sold core turned. The great wave of the tide moved farther along the island and the water lifted. Softly, surrounded by a fringe of inquisitive bright creatures, itself a silver shape beneath the steadfast constellations, Simon's dead body moved out toward the open sea.
The setting of the passage above was certainly memorable. Even though it sounded very beautiful, I could image the dead body of Simon floating slowly, but peacefully. Imagine, the son and moon moved along the world when we don't even notice it. Tides, surely, part of the ocean were also part of the world who in charge of moving the earth, too. Then, Simon's shiny body, the victim of evil floated toward the open sea. I read this passage more than ten times, to feel how the nature interacted with human being. I could realize that William Golding had distinguished ability to describe the connection and the harmony between nature and human.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just my thought to your answer. No offense, but I think that you needed to be a little specific about why that scene was memorable. When a character dies, the atmosphere’s usually very sad, unless the dead person is a bad guy or something. But this is Simon the good and innocent who got killed! Why was this passage memorable, when it is combined up with sorrowful facts? You mentioned that it was memorable for the connection between human being and nature, but there wasn’t a specific reason to it that could support your answer. I think being a little specific will make your answer better. That’s all. ^^;

t.mid said...

I agree with you, this is a very beautiful passage. I loved it a lot, mostly because Golding shows that he can mix science into his literature. I did a whole project last year, in 8th grade, on tides, and how they work. Golding simply expresses the science of it in a very meaningful manner. Showing that the world is amazing, in all it does, and half of it we don't know what the heck is happening. Outstanding...

However, on part did not make sense to me, and I reread it several times, finally subdueing and asking the all-knowing Mrs. Lavender what it meant, only to pull her also into a pit of thi nking on what it may be. What I'm talking about are the little "fiery-eyed creatures". Mrs. Lavender thought they may be fire flies. I thought that maybe it was just the sun's reflection on the ocean. But who knows? If you have any insight on that, please let me know, becuase it's been annoying me for quite some time now.

But overall, this was a short, yet well-done post.