Sunday, February 24, 2008

Lord of the Flies: The Climax


The climax in The Lord of the Flies was when Simon got killed. When Jack with his own, wild group, thought Simon was the beast (Actually, Simon said that he wasn't the beast. However, Jack and his group, with evil eyes, tore him into pieces.) . Jack was no longer a strong and charismatic boy but became a barbarian that wanted to kill everything he wanted get rid of. This was when the evil mind inside of his heart came out and


But I got confused when there was a death of Piggy. I thought this also might be the climax but later I realized that it was interesting rising action. When Piggy got killed and Jack took in charge of the group, revolting against Ralph's group. Jack's group ignored the rule of conch (A person who grabs a conch could speak among the group.) and Jack formed his own group and became barbarians, having bloody hunt on animals.


I was frightened when I read the death of two innocent boys. How these young boys could kill the boys so easily who used to be in their sides? The description of the two deaths gave me willies, and I imagined myself killed by my friends. What a tragic will that be! The evil mind inside of human beings victimized Piggy and Simon. The unsolved conflict between the two groups was the result of the ingenuous death of two boys. The climax revealed the hidden nature of human being, the buried mind of evil. Starting from Simon's death, Jack turned as wild animal, who tasted the blood and couldn't stop thirsting for blood. Without a grave, I could feel that Simon and Piggy were buried in the island, symbolizing the victim of evilness of human being.

3 comments:

Gina L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina L said...

I think the climax of this novel is when Jack's group burned the forest to chase Ralph. Since 'climax' means the greatest and the most intense point of the rising actions that mark the end of the conflict, I definitely think the forest fire one is the real climax.

Simon's death ended the conflict between the natural goodness and the evilness. After his death, the boys tended to follow Jack, which represented the human instinct of savagery.

Also, Piggy's death and the crashed conch ended the conflict between the democracy and the anarchy. Since Piggy, representing the intelligent aspect of human beings, and the conch, representing the rules and the orders, were gone, the group turned into hugh chaos that the boys eventually followed Jack, who held the most power at that time.

These conflicts are only building conflicts of the whole story. The last forest fire sums up the entire conflicts that had happened and led to the resolution of the sotry.

Just ask yourself what the main conflict in this story is. 'civilization verses savagery.' I think the deaths of the two boys foreshadow the climax but I do not think they are the climaxes.

Soulja Mogli said...

Hey Jane..
I strongly disagree that the climax of THE LORD OF THE FLIES is when Simon was killed. Neither do I agree with Gina's comment that stated that the climax was when the forest was lighted with fire. It was the moment when Ralph is being chased on the verge of dying, with nowhere to go, heads out to the beach. The climax is the exact moment when Ralph sees the Captain. Therefore leaving little room for falling action and resolution.

When I was reading, I have also thought that the death of Simon and the death of Piggy was the climax. However, as I read more intently, the real climax was when Ralph sees the captain. However, I do agree that it is debatable.